Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I Was Blind ... but Now I See!

"Amazing grace how sweet the sound
That saved someone like me
I once was lost but now I’m found
Was blind but now I see."


You recognize this great old hymn, right? And to me, it’s still as relevant now as it was 40 years ago!

Anyone who has experienced the life-changing power of Jesus Christ through the gospel understands and relates to the message in this song. But many are spiritually blind. What makes deception so devilish is that those being deceived are not aware they are being deceived! Can it be that the the masses of people on our planet live in deception and walk in darkness? Deceived by religions, by governments, by traditions, by their own sin?


I don’t presume to have all the answers, but I know this - I was deceived! As a young man I thought Christianity was a fantasy. I preferred to think that aliens were responsible for life on this planet or that, perhaps it was created out of nothing as the result of a “big bang”. I thought that smoking marijuana would enhance my senses and enlarge my brain (wow, I still can’t believe that one! ...and I thought Christianity was a fantasy?). I preferred to believe in anything other than the truth, that a good God created us to know and love Him, and to offer us a dynamic and fulfilling life of faith in relationship with Him.

But for me, it really all came down to one thing - accountability! I just didn’t want to be accountable to God for my life and actions because I thought it would prevent me from enjoying everything life had to offer. I was deceived! When I realized that life wasn’t as great as I thought it would be, or should be, given that I could do anything I wanted without consequences (or so I thought), I began to think seriously about my lifestyle - my choices.

Not long after, through the testimony of a good friend, I bowed my heart before God, asking for forgiveness. And in that very moment something happened that cannot be adequately told - it's better experienced. It was like a film had been removed from my eyes, and suddenly I could see clearly. And not only that, but I felt that several pounds of weight had been removed from my shoulders! I felt peace and joy in my heart, and even the air I breathed seemed fresher. I'm not exaggerating!


This is the shortened story of my conversion experience and I will never forget that moment. It is forever etched in my psyche, and I have never been the same since that day in February of 1974. Praise God! But these days, that great old song has taken on a second meaning for me. Little did I know back then that one could come to know the one who IS truth - Jesus - and still be deceived. In fact, for many years I embraced  teachings I thought were truth - right out of the Bible. However, in the past few years, as I have sought God for answers and clarification on certain issues, I have discovered that much of what I was taught as a protestant, evangelical, pentecostal Christian, was simply more fiction than fact!

Without question, the biggest error I have encountered as a Christian is the doctrine of the Trinity! Admittedly, it’s a teaching I could never understand, nor can anyone else if they are honest. But that didn’t stop me from believing it, and embracing it. Isn’t that amazing? It is NOT explicitly proclaimed anywhere in the pages of the Bible, yet it is embraced by millions as the central truth of Christianity. Isn’t that the very definition of deception? Thousands of well-meaning, intelligent men and women have put forth their impassioned philosophical debates along with arguments from biblical narrative and biblical grammar, all in an attempt to support an idea that cannot be proved. They make up charts and graphs, reference anecdotal and fictional writings, as well as illustrations from science and nature. And they do this with great enthusiasm in an attempt to make a contradiction, somehow, believable. But in the real world, three is not one and one is not  three!


Every argument attempting to explain the Trinity can only end up one way - “you just have to take it by faith.” Well... I don’t have to take it… and neither do you! God never asks us to believe a logical contradiction. There are no examples of this anywhere in Scripture. Oh yes, to be sure, there are many things in the Bible we cannot explain; ie. how did God lengthen a day for Joshua, how was Philip translated from one location to another in an instant of time, how did God raise Jesus from the dead, and oh by the way, what is God's origin anyway - who created Him? (to name just a few) But the fact is, all these things are explicitly stated in the Bible as having actually happened, and so, even though we can’t explain them we DO take them by faith.

But this is NOT so with the Trinity! None of the fine arguments theologians use to make their case for the Trinity is ever made by any person in the Old or New Testament, ever! They didn’t have to defend a Triune God because that concept never entered their minds!! So why do we persist in this deception? Why is it so important?

...It’s religion.


Well, I could go on and on, but that’s not my purpose here. I simply want to make one point. Living the christian life does not require some higher knowledge that was not evident, or that was hidden at the time of conversion. I did not confess the Trinity in order to “get saved”, nor did you. I did, however, confess Jesus as lord, as the one who died as the sacrifice for my sins. I recognized that Jesus was the Son of God, sent so that I would not perish, but have everlasting life! I didn’t understand then the sense of being “sent”, I just believed that Jesus death somehow paid for my sin, and I was forgiven. There is no reason to twist and distort Scripture in a way that makes Jesus something he never claimed himself to be! He is the Son of God, not God the Son!


Today, I sing “amazing grace” with a double meaning because I have not only been rescued from sin, but also rescued from an error that had kept my mind in the dark - a confusion in understanding God and Jesus, and how to pray. It was like being a victim of brainwashing; consistently told to see black when you are actually looking at white! Ah, but now I truly see! God alone is God and Jesus is the Son of God, our lord, born of a virgin, sent (commissioned) to proclaim the gospel about the kingdom of God and freely give his life to redeem us from the power of sin, which is death.


This view, I’m convinced, is what the Bible clearly declares as being taught to the first disciples by Jesus himself. And it is that message that was proclaimed by the same to the 1st century church! The conflation of Father, Son, and Spirit crept into the church after the death of the apostles through vain philosophies, as Paul himself consistently warned.

I urge you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, to consider what I say here. Seriously question why you believe what you believe and ask Father God to help you see Scripture with “new eyes”. Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, and God will guide you and teach you by His Spirit, if you are willing to listen. Listen, and be amazed!.




Please feel free to share your thoughts by posting a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Amen,Gods grace is truely amazing! There are hundreds of scriptures(old and new)that clearly support truth that the Lord our God is one Lord.Deut.6:4 and confirmed by Jesus in Mark 12:29.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your web site by means of Google while looking for a related matter, your web
    site got here up, it appears good. I have bookmarked it in my google
    bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply became alert to your blog through Google, and located that it is truly
    informative. I am going to be careful for brussels.
    I will appreciate if you happen to proceed this in future.
    Many other people might be benefited out of your writing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.